- 1847 – California declared a part of US and John Charles Fremont takes over de facto leadership of the California territory.
- 1848 – Fremont resists attempts by US to return him to D.C. Mexican-American War finishes in favor of California. Stabilizes independence through Gold Rush population surge.
- 1850 – Compromise of 1850 occurs as usual minus California becoming a member of the Union.
- 1861 – Civil War Begins
- 1863 – May 24. Washington D.C. Abraham Lincoln dies in an accident. Hannibal Hamlin becomes President.
- 1863 – July 1-3. Reeling after the death of Lincoln, Union troops are routed by the Confederate attack on Gettysburg.
- 1863 – July 11-13. Robert E Lee storms D.C. in a two day rush. President Hannibal and Cabinent escape to Baltimore then to New York.
- 1866 -British Empire joins the Confederacy in exchange for exclusive cotton shipping rights. Provides added naval support and troops. Conditional deal on the abolishment of slavery by Jefferson Davis.
- 1870 – January, NE Pennsylvania. Gravicite is discovered in the Coal Region. Discovery kept secret to allow for stockpiling and experimentation to begin.
- 1870 – February. Existence of gravicite slips out and is revealed to the world.
- 1870 – March. Confederacy launches hasty attack on Pennsylvanian coal mines to attempt and control the gravicite. Union anticipates this and a counterforce assembled by Ulysses S Grant defeat the Confederates outside York. Confederates are forced back and Britain becomes wary of its alliance. Development of gravicite is slow going but experimentation yields a blend of steel and gravicite allowing for lighter metal. Production is tedious and complicated requiring an elaborate facility. To try and cope with fast innovation, the military begins to assemble a think tank.
- 1870 – April 5. Department of Theoretical Affairs is founded by the Union in secret by Executive Order. Montgomery C. Meigs is placed in command and alloted funds to design and staff a research facility. The Avis facility begins to develop. Thomas Edison is one of the first to join the facility.
- 1870 – July. Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin arrives in the Avis facility and begins developing first models of Zeppelins with gravicite laced structures.
- 1870 – August. The Union gains intelligence that a final attack is being planned by the combined forces of the Confederacy and Britain against New York City. Its meant to be an end to the war.
*1870 – September 2-5. Confederacy and Britain launch a coordinated land and sea attack against New York City. As they move in to secure victory, newly developed Union zeppelins floating over the rivers engage the naval forces. Fleet suffers massive casualties due to unconventional tactics. With the British in retreat, the Confederacy follows.
*1871 – January. The Second Reich forms in Germany under Wilheim I after the Franco-Prussian War.
*1871 – June. With advancements in gravicite technology, the Union begins to slowly push back. Edison, with money made from gravicite patents, disappears with 5 tons of gravicite. All attempts to locate him fail.
*1871 – September. On the anniversary of the defeat at New York City, Davis orders Lee to surrender. Davis’ terms of surrender are the continued autonomy of the Confederate States of America, minus Virginia due to Union actions during the war, in exchange for no aid support from the Union in the post-war period. Britain demands the CSA honor their agreement but they refuse because they lost the war. Skirmishes between Britain and the Union/CSA begin to break out along the coast. Britain with their own developments in gravicite stage a sneak attack on New England. They manage to take Maine and declare it new territory of Britain as reparation for damages and costs while supporting the CSA.
*1871 – October. Exhausted from a decade of war, Andrew Johnson agrees to terms with Britain and CSA. Britain converts Maine to the Commonwealth of New England. Mass exodus of American citizens as British citizens move across the Atlantic.
*1872 – January. In an attempt to bolster the economy, the CSA begins construction of a gravicite bolstered railroad system. The first transcontinental railroad in completed by September. While very efficient and fast, zeppelins had become better refined and became the dominant form of transportation since it didn’t rely on rails. Britain begins scrapping its navy and begins constructing a zeppelin fleet.
*1872 – May 22. Grant signs Amnesty Act of 1972 granting amnesty to anyone willing to denounce the crimes of the CSA and be welcome in the Union.
*1872 – November 15. The CSA joins with the Union into the United States of America. One of the first acts of the newly unified government was to officially recognize the Commonwealth of New England and opened up trade.
*1873 – February. Britain begins investing in expansion to boost trade efficiency with New York City. NYC begins becoming a larger metropolis and center of trade.
*1873 – May 6. Through a treaty, part of NYC becomes British territory. With the city becoming joint territory, NYC truly begins expanding into an international center of trade and culture.
*1873 – September. Rumors start to reach the East coast about strange things in the Pacific Northwest. Rumors of man-made lightning, floating trains and other tales.
*1873 – November. The American government sends some officials to investigate the rumors.
*1874 – June. A messenger arrives in New York bringing an official declaration of the existence of the Independent Nation of Cascadia. In it, Thomas Edison states that this message is arriving at all the major heads of state around the world alerting them to the existence of Cascadia. He has full support of the local population and has been democratically elected Prime Minister. He outlines the borders and says he will only allow access through authorized border stations. He welcomes trades with the global powers and promises full cooperation. As a final note, he mentions that any attempt to retake the land by force would be met with a similar response and he hints at powers beyond the comprehension of their greatest minds.
*1874 – September. In conjunction with Britain, France, and Germany, the USA sends a team of ambassadors to meet with Edison and discuss the future of Cascadia. Upon arrival, they are given access to Cascadia and are brought to Seattle. They are astounded by the city. It’s size is spectacular considering how young it is. The ambassadors meet with Edison and during the meeting he demonstrates the source of his success. Combining the little known work of James Maxwell’s work in electromagnetism and a rework of the Pacinotti dynamo. He does not reveal his methods but demonstrates some of his capabilities to prove to the ambassadors his ability to defend his territory. The delegates leave to relay what they witnessed to their prospective governments.
*1875 – The Black Hills War breaks out between the Sioux and the American government due to the gold rush expansion into the Dakota Black Hills. The Battle of Little Bighorn is fought in June and is a resounding victory for George Custer due to his troops being armed with brand new gravicite rifles. Crazy Horse and the Sioux are decimated with Crazy Horse dying in the conflict. The Sioux are broken and become a scattered people.
*1878 – August. Nikola Tesla arrives at Cascadia and offers his services to Edison.
*1879 – The Anglo-Zulu War is fought between January and July.
*1881 – Sitting Bull surrenders to American troops at Fort Buford, Montana. He and his remaining warriors are massacred by the troops. Few survive and scatter into the countryside. The Sioux are officially wiped out.
*1882 – The Anglo-Egyptian War is fought. In September, Egypt becomes a British protectorate.
*1883 – May to August. Krakatoa erupts.
*1887 – Construction begins on the Eiffel Tower. Its the first of several zeppelin platforms that are planned for major European cities.
*1888 – August 31. Jack the Ripper begins his serial spree in London.